Tofu is a staple ingredient for vegetarian Buddhist monks in China. Black bean tofu can be found on many Cantonese restaurant menus.
PREP 5 MINS
COOKING TIME 8 MINS
4 tbsp fermented Chinese black beans
340g firm tofu, cut into bitesized pieces
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped or grated
320g bag of ready-prepared stir-fry vegetables
1 tbsp cornflour mixed with
2 tbsp water
FROM THE STORE CUPBOARD
2 tbsp vegetable oil
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp white pepper
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp light soy sauce
- Soak the fermented black beans in 120ml water for 10 minutes, then drain in a sieve and set to one side.
- Heat the oil in a wok over a medium-high heat and fry the tofu for 6-8 minutes until golden brown on all sides. Drain on kitchen paper and set to one side.
- Reheat the oiled wok over a medium heat and gently fry the garlic and black beans for 45 seconds until fragrant. Add the stir-fry vegetables, increase the heat to medium-high and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add 120ml water, the salt, pepper, sugar, soy sauce and fried tofu and bring to the boil.
- Give the cornflour mixture a stir and slowly pour into the sauce, stirring constantly, to thicken. Serve immediately.
Source: Daily Mail |World News