NewsColony
Image default
News

Christian Porter’s rape accuser told counsellor of her claim eight years ago

Christian Porter’s rape accuser reportedly first told a counsellor about her allegation eight years ago but did not tell police because she knew it could ruin his life.

The attorney-general has denied raping a debating teammate when he was 17 and she was 16 in January 1988.

The woman, who struggled with her mental health for years, complained to police last year before withdrawing her allegation and taking her own life in June, prompting police to close the investigation without charge. 

Christian Porter (pictured with estranged wife Jennifer in January 2020) has denied raping a debating teammate when he was 17 and she was 16 in 1988

Christian Porter (pictured with estranged wife Jennifer in January 2020) has denied raping a debating teammate when he was 17 and she was 16 in 1988

Christian Porter (pictured with estranged wife Jennifer in January 2020) has denied raping a debating teammate when he was 17 and she was 16 in 1988

But the accuser first opened up about the alleged rape eight years ago when she visited a sexual assault counsellor, according to the ABC’s Four Corners

The counsellor said she saw the woman about six times in 2013 and described her as ‘extremely articulate’. 

The counsellor also said they discussed reporting the alleged rape to the police but the woman was ‘torn’ because the allegation could ruin Mr Porter’s life.  

‘She obviously sat on it for about five years,’ the counsellor told Four Corners.

Daily Mail Australia has contacted Mr Porter’s office for comment. 

Christian Porter at school in 1987

Christian Porter at school in 1987

Christian Porter at school in 1987

The accuser’s allegation became public last month after Prime Minster Scott Morrison received a letter from a mystery sender which included a statement the woman had prepared for her lawyers in 2019. 

The media reported on the letter only referring to a mystery cabinet minister before Mr Porter outed himself in an extraordinary press briefing in Perth last week.

A shattered and tearful Mr Porter said he had been subjected to a trial by media and has asked the Prime Minister to take some time off as a result of the accusation.

The 50-year-old former public prosecutor confirmed he attended a debating competition at Sydney University with his accuser when he was 17 and she was 16, but categorically denied ever sleeping with the woman.

‘The things that have been claimed to happen did not happen,’ he said through tears in the emotional conference.

‘I did not sleep with the [alleged] victim. We didn’t have anything of that nature happen between us,’ he added.  

Mr Porter admitted that he can’t remember every single detail of the night in question but insisted that he would not have forgotten having sex with someone. 

Tearful: Christian Porter outed himself as the cabinet minister accused of rape to categorically deny the accusation and has insist he will not stand down

Tearful: Christian Porter outed himself as the cabinet minister accused of rape to categorically deny the accusation and has insist he will not stand down

Tearful: Christian Porter outed himself as the cabinet minister accused of rape to categorically deny the accusation and has insist he will not stand down

‘The things I have read did not happen. And to suggest that they could be forgotten is ridiculous, they just never happened,’ he said.  

Police released a statement last week with a timeline of how the accuser, a 49-year-old academic, worked with detectives – first attending Kings Cross Police Station on February 27, 2020, along with a support person. 

At the meeting, the accuser told officers she had a number of health problems and that she ‘dissociates’. Disassociation is described by Australian health authorities as ‘a mental process where a person disconnects from their thoughts, memories or sense of identity’.

The accuser said she ‘wanted to ensure when supplying her statement that was as coherent and as grounded as possible,’ the police statement said. 

Christian Porter (pictured during a debate when he was a schoolboy) said the alleged rape 'just didn't happen'

Christian Porter (pictured during a debate when he was a schoolboy) said the alleged rape 'just didn't happen'

Christian Porter (pictured during a debate when he was a schoolboy) said the alleged rape ‘just didn’t happen’

The rape allegation: A timeline 

1988: Debating competition in Sydney at which woman later alleges she was raped

2013: Woman tells sexual assault counsellor about her allegation 

Late 2019: Woman engages lawyers and prepares a statement

February 2020: Woman reports allegations to NSW Police

March 2020: Police postpone trip to visit her due to Covid-19 

June 2020: Woman withdraws allegation and dies by suicide

February 24, 2021: Anonymous letter is sent to PM detailing allegations

March 1, 2021: PM says minister completely rejects the allegations

March 2, 2021: NSW Police close the case

March 3, 2021: Christian Porter goes public to deny allegation

<!—->

Advertisement

Source: Daily Mail Australia | World News

Related posts

The Jonathan Cape/Observer/Comica graphic short story prize 2020 – enter now!

NewsColony

Twitter has fun over Rishi Sunak’s ‘Eat Out to Help Out’ double meaning

NewsColony

Broad joins the 500 club: still angry, still fiery and still getting better | Andy Bull

NewsColony

Leave a Comment