Atletico Madrid are seriously considering a new appeal of Kieran Trippier’s betting ban with the Court of Arbitration for Sport after the original ruling was upheld by FIFA.
World football’s governing body yesterday confirmed the Spanish club’s appeal against the 10 week worldwide suspension has been dismissed, meaning Trippier cannot participate in any football related activity – including training – until February 28.
However, Atletico plan on taking their appeal to CAS, in hope of securing a preliminary suspension of the ban until his case is heard, a move that could allow him to continue playing for the club.
Trippier is a vital player for Atletico, who are going for the La Liga title and remain in the Champions League.
England international Kieran Trippier will have to serve a ban until February 28 for breaching betting rules after Atletico Madrid’s appeal to FIFA was dismissed
The Atletico Madrid right back had continued playing pending the outcome of the FIFA appeal
The matches Trippier will miss
La Liga games unless stated
Thursday Eibar (A)
Sunday Valencia (H)
January 31 Cadiz (A)
February 7 Celta Vigo (H)
February 14 Granada (A)
February 16 Levante (A)
February 21 Levante (H)
February 23 Chelsea (H) Champions League last-16, first leg
February 28 Villarreal (A)
Atletico’s failed appeal to FIFA paused Trippier’s original ban meaning the defender was able to play in crucial games for the club this month.
However, sources claim there are no guarantees an appeal to CAS would trigger an another automatic suspension of the ban – details of which Atletico were yesterday trying to ascertain.
If CAS are willing to instigate another temporary suspension of the ban, then it appears certain Atletico will lodge a second appeal.
Following yesterday’s ruling from FIFA, the England right back is currently unavailable to feature for Atletico until his ban elapses at the end of February – meaning he will miss eight crucial La Liga matches and the Champions League first leg clash against Chelsea in Madrid on February 23.
However, it appears certain that Trippier will be available for the return leg at Stamford Bridge on March 17 and the start of England’s World Cup qualifying campaign.
But Atletico are pinning their hopes on a CAS appeal halting the suspension allowing Trippier to play immediately.
Atletico are driving subsequent appeals following the FA’s original ruling on December 23, with Trippier understood to have accepted he has fallen victim of the governing body’s betting regulations as it emerged he texted friends in relation to his move from Tottenham to Spain in 2019.
In one WhatsApp exchange, Trippier told a friend to ‘lump on if you want mate’
In another exchange, Trippier told a friend the deal was almost done and the friend bet on the move happening shortly after – Trippier didn’t appear to encourage a bet in that discussion
A statement read yesterday: ‘The FIFA appeal committee has dismissed the appeal lodged by the club Atletico Madrid in a case concerning the player Kieran Trippier,’ a FIFA statement read.
‘As a consequence, the decision of the FIFA disciplinary committee passed on December 23, 2020 is confirmed, extending sanctions imposed on the player by the English FA to have worldwide effect.’
Trippier has missed just two La Liga games since his ban was passed by the FA, making his return to action in last week’s win over Sevilla.