NewsColony
Image default
News

Melbourne elderly man arms himself with stick and fights off thugs who broke down door to Lalor home

A brave elderly man armed himself with a stick and fought off a gang of thugs who tried to break into his home after police ignored his calls for help three times.

Peter Damianopolous, 81, took matters into his own hands after waking to the sound of the would-be burglars trying to break down his door in Lalor in Melbourne’s north about midnight on Tuesday morning. 

The great-grandfather called triple-zero three times with no success after yelling at the thugs to leave from the other side of the door.

‘I told them ‘I kill you, you bastard’ and they left,’ he told 7News.

‘When you call triple zero they’re supposed to help you, but nobody helped me – they left me alone.’

His daughter Christine Vrantsis said she was ‘livid’ police failed to show up. 

‘Why was he alone? Why was someone not there?’ she said. 

The 81-year-old’s neighbour saw three suspects flee in a car but by that point the group had already busted the lock on his door – leaving him completely exposed had the thieves decided to return. 

Police eventually arrived in the morning eight hours after his first call to check up on him.  

Peter Damianopolous, 81, was forced to arm himself with a stick and fight off a gang of thugs after they tried to break down his door

Peter Damianopolous, 81, was forced to arm himself with a stick and fight off a gang of thugs after they tried to break down his door

Peter Damianopolous, 81, was forced to arm himself with a stick and fight off a gang of thugs after they tried to break down his door

Police on Wednesday apologised to the octogenarian, admitting they had failed to keep him safe when he needed them most. 

‘A man aged in his 80s and living alone should expect that after someone has tried to force their door, in the middle of the night, that police will be there to help,’ a Victoria Police spokesman told Daily Mail Australia.

‘We acknowledge and accept that there was a failure in our service delivery to Peter, not only in making sure he felt safe but that he could rely on us to be there when he needed us. 

‘It is up to us to ensure he felt safe in his home when he felt threatened. We didn’t on this occasion and for this we offer our sincere apology.’

The force said they had also spoken to Mr Damianopolous and his daughter to apologise for not coming. 

FULL VICTORIA POLICE APOLOGY TO THE 81-YEAR-OLD

‘Police have met with Kristine and her father Peter to unreservedly apologise for the delay in police attending her father’s home when he called for help in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

‘A man aged in his 80s and living alone should expect that after someone has tried to force their door, in the middle of the night, that police will be there to help. 

‘We acknowledge and accept that there was a failure in our service delivery to Peter, not only in making sure he felt safe but that he could rely on us to be there when he needed us. 

‘It is up to us to ensure he felt safe in his home when he felt threatened.

‘We didn’t on this occasion and for this we offer our sincere apology.’

Source: Victoria Police 

<!—->Advertisement

Source: Daily Mail Australia | World News

Related posts

R&B star Jeremih, 33, on ventilator in ICU, plus more famous people diagnosed with COVID-19

NewsColony

Fearless dog battles a lioness in India (and lives to tell the tale) 

NewsColony

Joe’s feelgood food: Tikka masala, halloumi and chickpea kachumba 

NewsColony

Leave a Comment