SERVES 4 (IF SERVED WITH LOTS OF VEGETABLES)
750g piece of smoked gammon
100g French mustard
1 tbsp demerara sugar
250ml apple juice
- Cut the hard rind off the top of the gammon, leaving the white fleshier fat exposed underneath. With a sharp knife, score the fat to make a crisscross pattern (this will create little lines to suck up the mustard and sugar and make a nice crust in the oven).
- Smear mustard and sugar all over, especially pressing into the fatty side. Get a large piece of tinfoil and place it in a roasting tray so that it cradles the whole tray. Put the gammon in the tray, pour in the apple juice and scrunch up the tinfoil at the top so the gammon is totally enveloped, sitting in a puddle of apple juice, which will infuse the meat as it cooks. Put in the oven on 160C/140C fan/ gas 2½ for 1 hour.
- Once an hour has passed, undo the tinfoil, fold back to the edges and turn up the oven to 220C/200C fan gas 7, making sure the fatty side is facing up. Cook for 15 minutes to crisp up the fat.
- Take out of the oven and let the meat stand for a few minutes to rest, which makes it more tender.
- Cut into slices and pour a bit of the salty, mustardy apple juice over each portion.
NOTE It is important to check that the meat is fully cooked all the way through – eating undercooked pork is not safe.
Source: Daily Mail |World News