1 medium-size chicken
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp dried oregano
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- Preheat the oven to 150C/ 130C fan/gas 2. Unwrap the chicken, cut off any elastic bands and discard the innards should there be any. Place the chicken on a baking tray and put a whole apple inside the cavity of the chicken – no need to peel or core it. This means that the apple will bake as the chicken is cooked and ooze sweet juice into the bird, infusing it with taste and stopping it becoming dry.
- Pour the olive oil into a cup and stir in the salt, oregano, lemon peel and garlic.
- Pour this mixture on to the bird and massage it into the skin, making sure not to miss the legs, wings and underneath.
- Put the chicken in the oven and cook for 2 hours. Yes – you read that right. This is cooking super slow, and with the above measures the chicken should come out juicy inside and crispy on top.
- Take out of the oven about 15 minutes before serving, put a sheet of tinfoil on top to keep it warm, and leave the bird to relax – this move really helps the meat to be tender and fall off the bone.
- Carve the joint into pieces and serve, spooning the juices from the pan over each serving (which means you don’t have to worry about making gravy).
Source: Daily Mail |World News