Join Fox News for access to this content

You have reached your maximum number of articles. Log in or create an account FREE of charge to continue reading.

By entering your email and pushing continue, you are agreeing to Fox News’ Terms of Use and Privacy Policy, which includes our Notice of Financial Incentive.

Please enter a valid email address.

The second of the two illegal immigrant suspects accused of killing 12-year-old Jocelyn Nungaray and then dumping her body in a bayou in Houston last week had his bail set Tuesday for $10 million during an emotional court hearing in which he was called a “murderer” by a woman in the gallery.

Johan Jose Martinez-Rangel, 22, appeared in Harris County Criminal Court just hours after District Attorney Kim Ogg told Fox News that “the evidence is clear that a sexual assault likely happened” in the capital murder case. Co-defendant Franklin Jose Peña Ramos, 26, had his bail set at $10 million on Monday. 

During Tuesday’s hearing, a woman yelled in Spanish “murderer” several times. When asked to leave, she yelled, “I want him to see my face,” according to Fox News Correspondent Nate Foy. Nungaray’s mother, Alexis Nungaray, who has called the suspects “monsters,” stared at Martinez-Rangel as he left the courtroom.

“We have gotten into Martinez-Rangel’s phone and found evidence that he was searching for ways to leave the country once his image was released to the media,” Harris County Assistant District Attorney Megan Long revealed on Tuesday following the hearing.

‘EVIDENCE IS CLEAR THAT A SEXUAL ASSAULT LIKELY HAPPENED,’ PROSECUTOR SAYS 

Jocelyn Nungaray murder suspects

Franklin Jose Peña Ramos, left, and Johan Jose Martinez-Rangel have been charged in the killing of Jocelyn Nungaray in Houston on Monday, June 17. (Harris County Jail)

Martinez-Rangel was told by a judge that if he posts bail, he must wear a GPS monitor, remain under constant house arrest in Harris County and have no contact with fellow suspect Peña Ramos or Nungaray’s family, among other restrictions. The judge said any violation could potentially land him back in state custody. Peña Ramos was given the same restrictions on Monday.

Ogg told Fox News’ “America’s Newsroom” earlier that concerns of both suspects being a flight risk led to the high bail amount. 

“The evidence is clear that a sexual assault likely happened,” but “since neither defendant has actually admitted that, circumstantial evidence will have to prove it,” she said. “We are waiting on lab tests now to see if the capital murder charge can be upgraded to one where they are death penalty eligible.”

Ogg described the case as “horrific,” saying that “Jocelyn’s last moments were unspeakable.” 

“She endured assault for multiple hours. This was a little girl who slipped out of her house to call her boyfriend, a 13-year-old, was seen by two immigrants who had been drinking all afternoon. They picked her up, probably asking for directions, and she was innocent,” Ogg added. 

ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT SUSPECT ACCUSED OF KILLING JOCELYN NUNGARAY WORE ICE ANKLE MONITOR    

images of Jocelyn Nungaray

Jocelyn Nungaray, 12, was found strangled to death in a Houston creek this week. (Fox Houston courtesy of the Nungaray family)

“She walked off with them. We see footage from local stores that show they lured her under a bridge near a Houston bayou where they attacked her, strangled her and dragged her body into the water,” Ogg added. 

During the court appearance Monday for Peña Ramos, it was revealed that he was wearing an ankle monitor at the time he allegedly murdered Nungaray that was provided to him when he was arrested by Border Patrol agents after entering the country illegally and being released from custody.

Video image of Johan Jose Rangel Martinez, 21, and Franklin Jose Pena Ramos, 26, and image of Jocelyn Nungaray

A video image of Johan Jose Martinez-Rangel, 22, and Franklin Jose Peña Ramos, 26, and an image of Jocelyn Nungaray. (Houston Police Department; Fox Houston Courtesy of the Nungaray family)

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP 

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement told Fox News in a statement Friday that he “illegally entered the U.S. without inspection, parole or admission by a U.S. immigration officer on an unknown date and at an unknown location.” 

Fox News’ Michael Lee and Nate Foy contributed to this report. 

Read More: World News | Entertainment News | Celeb News
Fox News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

My 5-Year-Old Son Started Avoiding His Mom – His Reason Greatly Worried Me, So I Confronted My Wife

When Robert noticed his five-year-old son, Sam, inexplicably pulling away from his…

‘We stormed without support’: Ukraine towns fall to Russia in latest defeat

Kyiv, Ukraine – Armed with two sticks that serve as canes, a 97-year-old…

Eagles’ $38 Million All-Pro Named Potential ‘Surprise’ Cut

Getty The Philadelphia Eagles could look to move on from a starting…

George Gilbey’s mum ‘in bits’ as Gogglebox star son dies two years after losing husband

Gogglebox star George Gilbey’s mum Linda is heartbroken after her son tragically…