Some 1,000 security personnel have arrived from France to address the worst unrest in the territory since the 1980s.

Authorities in New Caledonia have described the situation in the French Pacific territory as “calmer” after Paris declared a state of emergency in response to violence that erupted on Monday night over plans to change provincial voting rules.

The officer of the high commissioner of New Caledonia, which represents the French state, said in a statement on Friday that unrest in the provincial capital Noumea had subsided, as hundreds of security reinforcements arrived from Paris.

“For the first time since Monday, the situation is calmer and more peaceful in greater Noumea,” the commission said in a statement.

However, there had been fires at a school and two businesses overnight, it added.

A residents' makeshift barricade in a Noumea district. A man is speaking to the driver of a car. Other people are in the background. There is a white flag. There are houses on the hillside.
A resident speaks to a motorist at a temporary barricade to their neighbourhood in Noumea, as the city remains on edge [Theo Rouby/AFP]

Anger has been simmering for weeks over French plans to expand the vote in New Caledonia to outsiders who have lived on the island for 10 years or more, in a relaxation of voting restrictions agreed upon after an earlier period of political unrest in the 1980s.

The Indigenous Kanak population, who make up about 40 percent of the population, fear the move, which was adopted by the National Assembly in Paris on Wednesday, will dilute their vote and political influence.

About 1,000 extra security personnel are expected in New Caledonia, adding to the 1,700 already there, while authorities have said they will push for “the harshest penalties for rioters and looters”. Five people suspected of organising the unrest, which saw roads barricaded, businesses set on fire and looting, were placed under house arrest on Thursday.

At least five people have been killed since the violence broke out on Monday after a second police officer was killed on Thursday. Three civilians, all Kanaks, have also died, while hundreds of people have been injured.

The violence is the worst in the territory in more than 30 years and follows three failed referendums on independence that were part of earlier political agreements to ensure stability. The last referendum in December 2021 was boycotted by Kanak independence groups because it took place during the COVID-19 pandemic, and turnout was only 44 percent.

Members of the Marseille Naval Fire Battalion walking up the steps to board a plane. They are wearing blue uniforms with 'Marins Pompiers, Marseilles' written on the back across their shoulders.
Some 1,000 more security personnel have been sent from France to help deal with the unrest in New Caledonia [Manon Cruz/Reuters]

Independence remains a popular cause in the territory, which lies between Australia and Fiji and was colonised by the French in the late 19th century.

The state of emergency, which includes a nighttime curfew and a ban on gatherings, will remain in force for 12 days.

Read More: World News | Entertainment News | Celeb News
Aljazera

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Staying Busy and Keeping Calm! See Your Horoscope Forecast for May 19 Through May 25

The horoscope forecast for May 19 – 25. Taurus: April 20 –…

International students risk immigration status to engage in Gaza protests

New York, New York – Israel’s war in Gaza is personal for…

Biden will not commute Hunter’s sentence, Karine Jean-Pierre confirms

After days of speculation, White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre has confirmed…

Myanmar military control weakening as anti-coup forces advance: Report

Expert analyses find ethnic armed groups and anti-coup forces consolidating their positions…