A “person of interest” is in custody in connection with a sucker punch attack that injured actor Steve Buschemi on Third Avenue in Manhattan last week, according to the NYPD.

The 66-year-old former “Boardwalk Empire” and “Sopranos” star suffered a black eye and bleeding in the May 8 ambush, police said. 

They previously identified 50-year-old Clifton Williams as a suspect in the case but declined to confirm he was the one arrested Friday. 

“As of right now, we have one person of interest in custody,” an NYPD spokesperson told Fox News Digital. 

Law enforcement sources said Williams changed his appearance and fled Manhattan as Buscemi was treated at a hospital.

SUSPECT IN ATTACK ON ACTOR STEVE BUSCEMI IDENTIFIED

NYPD have identified Clifton Williams, 50, as the suspect who punched actor Steve Buscemi in a random attack in Manhattan last week.  (Fox 5 New York)

Steve Buscemi was assaulted in midtown Manhattan, another victim of a random act of violence in the city,” a spokesperson for the actor told Fox News Digital earlier. “He is ok and appreciates everyone’s well wishes, though incredibly sad for everyone that this has happened to while also walking the streets of NY.”

The attack took place around noon on May 8. A man in blue walked up and punched him in the face, leaving the actor with swelling and bleeding in his left eye.

Photos showed he returned to work on a film set in the city, with a black eye hidden behind a pair of sunglasses.

ACTOR STEVE BUSCEMI BLOODIED AND BRUISED IN NYC ASSAULT AS POLICE HUNT ATTACKER

Witnesses told ABC’s New York affiliate that Buscemi, a former firefighter who visited Ground Zero in the wake of 9/11 to volunteer alongside his former battalion, chased after his attacker following the surprise attack. 

Steve Buscemi close up

Steve Buscemi attends the Peacock’s “Bupkis” World premiere at The Apollo Theater on April 27, 2023 in New York City. (Roy Rochlin/Getty Images)

Police released surveillance images showing Williams in a blue shirt and sweatpants, carrying a backpack near the scene of the crime.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

In March, another “Boardwalk” star, Michael Stulhbarg, was also attacked at random in Manhattan. Someone threw a rock at him from behind.

He detained his own assailant until the NYPD arrived in that case.

Read More: World News | Entertainment News | Celeb News
Fox News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

‘Mental torture’: UK woman says she has been living with ‘black slime’ and a burrowing badger for 12 years

A woman in the UK said she has been a prisoner inside…

NBA roundup: Dallas Mavericks grab vital 96-93 road win over LA Clippers

Mavericks steal home court advantage from the Clippers after winning game two…

Schoolgirl impresses at Japanese gamer event with win in retro game

A girl scored a win at one of Japan’s top fighting video…

Turkish opposition wins major cities in local elections

NewsFeed Turkey’s main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) has dealt the biggest…